Federal Work Study
Federal Work-Study is awarded as part of a need-based Financial Aid based on information received from the FAFSA. The Federal Work-Study Program provides jobs on campus for students with financial need allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses.
Students will earn at least the current federal minimum wage, but the amount could be higher depending on the type of work performed and the skills required. The total Federal Work-Study award depends on when you apply, your level of need, and available funds.
Students will be paid by the hour for all hours worked. The school will pay the student directly by check or the student may elect to have the school make payments by direct-deposit to their bank account. Awards are not paid directly to the university for institutional charges such as tuition, fees, and room and board.
Students may work a maximum of 20 hours per week but not more than 8 hours in a 24 hour period during full-time enrollment periods or a maximum of 40 hours per week during non-enrollment periods, such as Thanksgiving, and Spring break. The amount you earn cannot exceed your total Federal Work-Study award.
Student Employment will be moving to MountaineerTRAK online. This includes Federal Funded, Federal Funded Community Service, State Funded, and Grant Funded programs.
The work flow of the work study process, is as follows:
- The employer will complete
a Work Study Request Form.
- Financial Aid will post the job in
- Students may view all job
postings and upload a resume to MountaineerTRAK
- Employer will then review resumes and select prospective student(s) and complete the Work Study Selection Form.
- Financial Aid will email the
student, Human Resources and Employer on whether they are federal or
state, how much the student is awarded (Federal), the hiring department, job title, rate of pay and for the
student to report to HR with the proper documents for payroll.
- Human Resources will input the information in the hiring wizard to Employee Processing Service (EPS) for processing. EPS will send the onboarding notification to the supervisors and HR to let them know the start date.